Tuesday, September 04, 2012

First Day of First Grade

 Today was Norah's first day of first grade. I was fortunate enough to be off work today, Boo made sure he was up and dressed to be there for his little sister on this special day. Norah was so excited the night before school that she was also a little nervous. She climbed into my lap and wanted to be held. This is not normal behavior for Norah. She very rarely actively seeks comfort in that way when feeling nervous or anxious. It was quite a surprise, a pleasant surprise.
All of Norah's little friends from last year were there at school today. It is going to be another good school year.
Norah still will have physical therapy once a week and we re adding speech therapy once a week and signing up for a beginning ballet class at the local rec center. She (and we) are going to be busy busy.

We just got back from Arkansas on Saturday. United Airlines had to send us back on Delta since someone forgot to put a fire extinguisher back on our first flight, thereby delaying that flight so much that we had to go on another airline. This little fiasco added 6 hours to our travel time. With Glen's issues and Norah's issues it made for a very challenging day with lots of tears and added physical wear and tear that were not appreciated at all. It would have been nice to hear a "Sorry for the inconvenience" or perhaps a couple meal coupons or something. However the state of air travel being what it is I guess we are just lucky they didn't herd us down a chute with cattle prods at our backs.

Mom and Dad look good. Arkansas is hot! Oh, so much hotter than I remember. It is easy to forget when we live in such a cool climate now. We cleaned and painted and moved things around. We spent a couple days at the VA with Dad getting test done and checking out a great day program. We went shopping with Mom and had dinners with family and extended family. We drove by our old house in Cabot. It looks wonderfully cared for and tidy, with flowers on the front porch and the yard mowed and edged. Norah was totally spoiled by her Nana and her Aunt. I think she ended up getting at least a Barbie a day, along with a mermaid costume and a beautiful tulle dress. I didn't even get to see my friend from my old job there until Friday night. She had been hard at work most of the week and sick a day or two. Friday night though she called and said come over. We talked till 1 in the morning. I so needed it. I miss having my friends so close. As it stands now they are scattered from Arkansas to Utah.

It's hard to see Mom and Dad getting older. It seems like for a long time I saw them as immortal in a way. When you have had such loving parents as I have had it is really hard to even imagine a world without them in it. Then again maybe I am being selfish and just want to keep my cheering section around. (;
I have some pictures from the trip that I need to get up on here. I will try and do that soon. It is back to work tomorrow.


No comments: