Friday, March 27, 2009

Our first full week Home.


I don’t know how business travelers do it that have to go back and forth from China to the U.S. We didn’t have that much of a problem going from the U.S. to China and adjusting to their time zone. We hit the ground running in China and were able to adjust quickly.
Coming back has been a different story. The difference in time and lack of sleep because Norah has a nightmare or thinks it is time to play not sleep, has had us wiped out for awhile.
We are starting to turn the corner now though. I can see progress everyday in both Norah and Lori and I.
Like I said we have only been home a week and I am not sure if Norah understands this is her home or just another hotel that we stay at traveling around like nomads. It my take some time for her to comprehend that this is where we all live permenatley. She recognizes the house when we pull up in the driveway and we do the sign from home before we head that way and when we pull up to reinforce it. She likes the house with the backyard to play in, the swing and the park within walking distance from the house. Still I wonder what is going through her head some times. We have had Norah 19 days now and moved to a different place every five days or so. After we have been home awhile she will start to understand the permanence of home.
She is still really attached to Lori, to the point if Norah could figure out how to hobble Lori I think she would. I have managed to move up on Norah’s totem pole of Love and Affection by constantly taking care of her, feeding her, playing with her, and Norah and I take trips out on purpose to have one on one time together.
It was raining the last two days so the play equipment at the park was wet, so I though we would go to McDonalds to see about playing inside on their play equipment. That was a bust there were kids there twice her size that had gone feral like wild animals. I had a flash back of the children of the corn movie and we quickly left to see about some calmer setting. We settled on feeding the ducks at the park. It all seems to be working and with time I will share the coveted spot with Lori at the head of the pole, believe me Lori won’t mind sharing.
Norah is make headway with her sign lanwage too and seems to relish in the fact that she can now ask for specific things she desires with hand gesters and we understand and give her more milk or a banana or that we can tell her she needs to go put her shoes by the door and at night I can tell her it is bath time and she goes into the bathroom to get ready for bath time. Some things are still lost in translation, like just now she saw me writing this post and caught a glimpse of herself on here and pointed to the photo and pointed to her room, and I would sign just a minute and she immediately would start pulling on my arm and pointed to her room, and I again told her just a minute. Then it dawned on me, she saw herself playing with the playdough in the picture and thinks it is in her room. So I got up and showed her the playdough in the pantry. She gave me the big raised eyebrow smile and the sign for yes!
I love this child, she has been through so much in her short life and is still ready to jive up a smile and giggle that makes your day. Now I must go and make a multi colored dinosaur.
Glen

11 comments:

Carrie said...

What a great family you are! I hate play-dough so your a better parent then me!

Charlotte said...

She sounds so right on track. Rachael has been home 16 months now and still is so attached, lol. You are doing good, keep doing for her, just you and Lori and Brandon, she knows you are hers !

It does make you wonder what they think ?

Can't wait to meet her, maybe in a month or so ya'll can come over for supper on the grill !

Charlotte and crew

Grimes Family said...

Glen and Lori,
We feel your pain! Coming back has been much more challenging than expected. Norah looks so happy. I looked for you guys whenever we were on SI, We stayed at the Shifu across the river. I was disappointed at first, but our room was HUGE! It was a 3 block walk to the Island, so it was nice to have the best of both worlds. Our Lydia is blossoming by the minute. It is a blessing to be a part of the everyday discoveries.
We look forward to following your blog, you are an excellent writer, perhaps you need to put this blog in book form.
Your blog friends,
Grimes Family

Donna said...

The jetlag coming this direction is a killer! Going over to China, you just have to keep yourself awake long than you want. Coming home, you have to try to sleep when you're NOT TIRED and that's much more difficult -- impossible for small kids.

We needed two or three days to adjust to China time but 2 full weeks to adjust to USA time! It's hard!

I'm glad the sign language is going well. Communication makes things so much easier -- especially with kids! Fortunately, they're more resilient than we are and adjust much more quickly than we do!

Thanks for sharing your adventure with me and my family. We've loved reading your blog and hope to follow you for much longer!

Donna
Our Blog: Double Happiness!

Roberta C. said...

Welcome home!

We have followed your story since the day my husband came home from a shopping trip in town. When he came in the door he handed me the card with the photo of your beautiful daughter and he simply stated, "We have to help them."

How blessed you are to have Norah in your life, and she is equally blessed to have you in her life!

Thank you for sharing your journey with us. It is heartwarming to read your words of love for your family.

Our very best wishes for a life full of love and happiness!

Roberta C.

Anonymous said...

Ya, ya, ya ... you're tired. We need more pictures! Ha! Ha! Ha!
Mike and Melissa
P.S. Remind us of this insensitive comment around Halloween, ok? Ha!

RamblingMother said...

So glad you are all adjusting well. She is just precious.

mike and kelly said...

just want to say how much we miss you guys and mostly Norah's smile it is just so contagious.Leila smiles ear to ear when she see her pictures we are sharing your hell as far as the sleep adjustment goes. we are having a great time and she is adjusting and it's getting better every day. we applaud your blogging ability and we hope to be able to post in ours soon.

Glen said...

Mike and Melissa - OOOHHH!! You are so working on some bad karma. We will put more pictures up AND I will oh so remind you of this around Halloween. I love the idea of a Halloween baby!!!!!!
Lori

Glen said...

Mike and Kelly - We miss you guys too. Norah also Loves looking at pictures of Leila. Especialy the ones from the playroom. I'm glad to hear you guys are doing well. Except for the ever present jet lag that is. Here's hoping for a great second week home.

Lori

Yoli said...

I am so happy for you and Lori. What an amazing feeling to have this precious child to love. Congratulations and rest as much as you can. She is beautiful!